Application Deadline:24 September 2023 11:59 pm (CET)
The Digital Green Innovation Acceleration Programme (DGIx)is a programme by the WFP Innovation Accelerator and the Smart Development Fund (#SDF), and powered by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the European Union (EU). DGIx is in search of high-impact digital ventures and projects solving some of the most pressing environmental challenges in selected countries.
The DGIxaims to support technology-powered solutions addressing pressing environmental challenges. The programme will select ventures, solution providers and consortiums who will receive financial, technical, and methodological support from the WFP Innovation Accelerator, #SDF, and other partners. Together with the best and brightest minds globally, we will be able to leverage the digital-green synergies to ultimately improve the lives of vulnerable communities.
DGIx aims to leverage the aforementioned interconnectedness between digitalisation and climate change by utilising the potential of ventures and consortiums developing digital tools for climate action in the following areas:
- Adaptation: reducing potential damages and vulnerability associated with climate change.
- Mitigation: curbing and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Resilience: anticipating, preparing, and recovering while incurring minimal damages.
Geographies of Interest
Benin, Botswana, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, Tanzania, and Togo
- Your organization must have a presence (e.g., in the form of a country office or other permanent presence, subsidiary, long-term operations, etc.) and be locally rooted in the country of implementation.
- Your organization must be an established legal entity (for-profit, not-for-profit, social enterprise) for at least 2 years.
- Your innovation must be at least at the validated prototype stage, ideally with proof of traction, and a verified potential commercial value and impact.
- Your innovation should clearly address one or more of the priority innovation areas.
- Your innovation should have a clear pathway to scale (capacity to be adapted, expanded, replicated or scaled) along with a well defined implementation plan ready to be executed during the 12-month accelerator period using the available funding.
- Applications from consortiums and cooperations with local NGOs are highly encouraged.
- Solutions using open formats and approaches (Open Data, Open Hardware, Free and Open-Source Software, collaborative mapping and crowd-sensing) are encouraged.
- At least one of the team members must be fluent in English. Please note, the entire programme is delivered in English.
Hands-on support & access to network
The selected ventures and solutions will be invited to participate in a fully virtual 4-day WFP Innovation Bootcamp in early December 2023, and will be invited to attend an in-person pitch event in Kigali, Rwanda, on 30-31st January 2024.
Funding, coaching & mentorship
Selected ventures will be invited to apply to the WFP Sprint Programme – a six-month acceleration program with access to up to US$ 230,000 in equity-free funding, coaching, and mentorship support from a global network of relevant partners in the public health space.
Mature solutions that have proven their concept, scale, and value for social impact may qualify for further funding and support.
- Impact & Scalability: applicants should have a defined vision, an identified target group, and be able to demonstrate the potential to solve the posed challenge(s).
- Team: applicants should be able to demonstrate having a diverse, non-discriminatory, and inclusive organization with demonstrated leadership and entrepreneurial mindset.
- Novelty: applicants should be able to show how their solution and business model are innovative while being technically suitable and viable.
- Traction: applicants should be able to present evidence of feasibility and adoption by the target group.
- Business Model: applicants should demonstrate the viability of their business model, how they intend to achieve a sustainable business, pricing, and financial model.
- To submit your application, please fill in the Application Form before 24 September 2023 11:59 pm (CET).
- Or, if you know a relevant venture or solution for us to consider for this programme, please let us know by filling out this Referral Submission Form.
For More Information: