UNHCR is hiring a Senior Evaluation Officer
Duties and Qualifications
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a full-time position within the Evaluation Service in the Regional Bureau for West and Central Africa, Dakar, Senegal.
The Senior Evaluation Officer (P4) post is situated in the UNHCR Regional Bureau for West and Central Africa.
Working under the overall leadership of the Head of Service, the post will complement existing HQ evaluation capacity to lead on planning and delivery of decentralised evaluations with UNHCR Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues (including the development of evaluation ToRs, procurement and contract management of evaluation services, and providing quality assurance of evaluation deliverables); Directly participate in decentralised evaluation processes at the Regional Office and Country Operation-level as relevant and required; Support the design and delivery of UNHCR evaluation-related capacity building efforts to UNHCR Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues; and, Support Regional Office and Country Operation colleagues to identify key evidence gaps and priorities, and develop appropriate evaluative strategies and plans to address these.UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
The Snr Evaluation Officer position is located in the Regional Bureau in West and Central Africa in Dakar, Senegal. The Snr Evaluation Officer will report to the P5, Senior Evaluation Coordinator in HQs, Geneva. Evaluation is a growing function in the Organization. This is reflected in its engagement with operations, increased professional staffing, budget and output. The evaluations undertaken are overarching and contribute to the overall functioning of the Organization.
As a Senior Evaluation Officer the incumbent must:
- Possess leadership, organizational and managerial skills to ensure supervision, oversight and management of complex projects with consultants, firms and multiple stakeholders
- Possess strong networking and relationship building expertise to work effectively with staff in UNHCR operations, UN agencies, NGOs and academic institutions; be capable of establishing an enabling working environment in complex and difficult circumstances; be pro-active in anticipating and managing stakeholders (internal and external);
- Be able to travel on missions to remote field locations with challenging working conditions and security concerns;
Communicate effectively, orally and in writing,
- Have expertise in coaching, capacity building, mentoring and facilitating;
- Experience in Inter-Agency and UN system engagement is essential for the position.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support the HQ Evaluation Service in establishing strengthened evaluation policies and procedures, including the refinement of existing evaluation approaches and development of new innovative and forward-looking evaluation approaches and methodologies.
- Enhance the technical aspects (both quantitative and qualitative) of decentralised evaluations commissioned by UNHCR are improved through expert advice and guidance.
- Provide evaluation-related coaching and mentoring, as required.
- Ensure that institutional knowledge, understanding and ‘culture’ of evaluation is strengthened.
- Manage or co-manage decentralised evaluations at the Regional and Country Operation-level, and provide quality assurance to evaluation methodologies and deliverables.
- Interact with appropriate UNHCR entities with respect to the design, commissioning and management of the evaluation cycle.
- Lead and participate in the selection and procurement of quality evaluation services (evaluation firms and individual consultants) and participate in the selection of qualified internal (UNHCR staff) evaluation team members when appropriate.
- Deploy on scoping missions to build stakeholder support, develop and draft evaluation `Terms of Reference(ToR), including defining key evaluation questions, as required. Oversee the successful completion of evaluations and reviews.
- Work with Evaluation Service colleagues to design and develop evaluation-related training modules and materials, and deploy to facilitate evaluation-related awareness raising, training and/or capacity building sessions as required.
- Develop networks and associations with other evaluation communities to enhance internal knowledge management and expertise.
- Under the guidance of the Head of ES, represent UNHCR at external meetings on evaluation
- Provide appropriate instructions and guidance to contractors, consultants, and experts commissioned to undertake ES evaluation work.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
For P4/NOD – 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education:
- Social Sciences;
- International Development
- Public Policy; or other relevant field
Certificates and/or Licenses:
- Research & Evaluation Methods;
- Relevant Job Experience
- Demonstrable institutional knowledge of the UN, and in particular of UNHCR¿s protection mandate and operational role.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of humanitarian response and coordination – ideally specifically related to refugee response.
- Demonstrable expertise of evaluation norms and standards.
- At least 5 years applied research or M&E related experience in field contexts, ideally including in refugee response contexts.
- Good knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research and evaluation methods/approaches, statistics, data collection tools and analytical approaches.
- Experience of leading and managing evaluation processes, including ideally managing multi-disciplinary teams with variable evaluation experience.
- Experience of working with and influencing senior decision makers, including in delivering challenging, or potentially contested, key messages.
- Experience in developing and/or delivering M&E or evaluation-related capacity building content.
- Experience of building effective working relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Fluency in English and French excellent English and French-language drafting and report-writing skills (to publication standard) is essential
- Formal qualification or certification in evaluation work. Substantial experience in a humanitarian or development context.
- Experience of conveying complex information clearly and compellingly through the use of visual media for a range of audiences (i.e. using data visualisation tools).
- MS-Data Collection and Analysis;
- MS-Statistics Analysis;
- PO-Development/Evaluation of Humanitarian Operations;
- PO-Policy Development, Evaluation, Research, Publication;
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and French are essential for this function.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Managing Performance
- Managing Resources
- Strategic Planning and Vision
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Policy Development and Research
The successful candidate will be based in Dakar, Senegal.
The Temporary Appointment is for six months and the start date is in July 2020.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (applpication, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for this TA advertisement is Tuesday 16 June 2020 (Geneva midnight time)
Pour postuler à ce poste veuillez visiter ce lien: public.msrp.unhcr.org
Vous vous êtes inscris avec succès au Newsletter. Toutes les opportunités d'emplois et de stages vous seront donc envoyés par mail <span class="et_bloom_close_button"></span> <span class="et_bloom_bottom_trigger"></span>