UNESCO hiring an Associate Education Planning Specialist.
- Post Number : 6SNIEP0051PA
- Grade : P-2
- Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
- Duty Station: Dakar
- Job Family: Education
- Type of contract : Project Appointment
- Duration of contract : 1 year
- Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
- Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 11-SEP-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Duration of contract: initially 1 year, with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance).
IIEP Dakar (Pôle de Dakar) is the International Institute for Educational Planning’s (IIEP) Africa-based office located in Dakar, Senegal. IIEP is a UNESCO specialized institute with a mandate to strengthen Member States’ capacity to plan and manage their education systems. IIEP Dakar is renowned for its cutting edge educational sector analyses and supports to African countries in developing realistic and credible education system development plans in support of the Education 2030 agenda, an essential part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Through a well-crafted and targeted capacity development approach, IIEP Dakar contributes to the creation of diagnostic analyses, sector plans and methodological tools. In concert, these contribute to the implementation of more relevant and sustainable educational policies across Africa. IIEP Dakar is also actively involved in knowledge creation for the education sector in Africa. For more information about its activities, please follow this link IIEP Dakar
Under the overall authority of the Director of IIEP, the Head of the IIEP Dakar, and the direct supervision of program managers, the incumbent contributes to activities related to the analysis, planning, implementation, management, and monitoring of education and training policies in selected African countries. The overarching goal is to ensure quality and equal education for all with a focus on lifelong learning opportunities in the formal and informal sectors. In collaboration with other Staff, the incumbent will participate in research activities in selected countries, and whose subsequent outputs will be subject to internal validation procedures, under the responsibility of the Head. More specifically, the incumbent will be assigned the following tasks:
Assist selected African countries in developing, implementing and monitoring policies that provide quality and equal education and are focused on lifelong learning opportunities in the formal and informal sectors:
- Support the development and thematic diagnosis of education and training sector and sub-sectors;
- Support operational planning of educational policies (i.e. education policy orientation documentation, simulation models, education sector plans, expenditure medium term financial frameworks, budgeted action plans, etc.);
- Support the strengthening of dialogue between ministries of education and training and ministries of finance;
- Support and advise on the implementation of education policies;
- Support monitoring and evaluation in the implementation of education policies.
Participate in a portfolio of activities in selected countries:
- Assist with developing and sustaining political and education policy management and planning, dialogue with the highest authorities of target countries;
- Assist to dialogue, exchange and coordination with development partners in countries.
Support international initiatives for the Education 2030 Agenda:
- Knowledge creation on the state of education and training in Africa;
- Design tools for analysis, planning, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation of education and training policies in Africa;
- Create training materials and/or outreach strategies that meet the needs of targeted audiences.
Contribute to the professional development of officials in charge of education planning, management and training in Africa.
Contribute to implementation of training initiatives developed by the Pôle de Dakar in collaboration with its partners.
Contribute to the creating, use and dissemination of relevant information in the education and training sector in Africa:
- Participate in drafting substantive and high quality methodological notes, thematic notes and country notes;
- Contribute to updating the website http://www.poledakar.iiep.unesco.org and web portals such as http://www.pefop.iiep.unesco.org and interactive spaces for documentation and exchanges around education and training policies in Africa (digital bibliography, statistics, policy documents, etc.).
Competences (Core / Managerial)
- Communication (C)
- Accountability (C)
- Innovation (C)
- Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
- Planning and organizing (C)
- Results focus (C)
- Teamwork (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO competency_framework_e.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Economics, Statistics, Management, Social Sciences or related field.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant working experience in the fields of planning and management of education systems.
- Experience in developing an education and training development plan (including budgeted action plans).
Skills and competencies
- Demonstrable knowledge of African education systems and their associated challenges.
- Knowledge of the education sector processes in developing countries, in particular the functioning of the Global Partnership for Education (GPE).
- Demonstrable expertise in the qualitative analysis of educational policies and qualitative research techniques.
- Ability to carry out missions in diverse and challenging environments and to meet deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good working knowledge of the other.
- Specialized training in educational planning and/or management.
- At least one (1) year experience acquired at international level.
Skills and competencies
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and familiarity with statistical software such as SPSS, Stata and SAS.
Vous vous êtes inscris avec succès au Newsletter. Toutes les opportunités d'emplois et de stages vous seront donc envoyés par mail <span class="et_bloom_close_button"></span> <span class="et_bloom_bottom_trigger"></span>