Application Deadline: 18 April 2023
This annual award, named after the TWAS Fellow Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi, recognizes women scientists from Scientifically and Technologically Lagging (STL) countries. It carries a cash award of USD4,000 generously provided by Professor Al-Kharafi and will rotate among various fields of science. In 2023 the award will be given in Social Sciences (economics, politics, sociology).
TWAS is inviting nominations for the 2023 Award from all its members as well as science academies, national research councils, universities and scientific institutions in developing and developed countries.
- Nominations for the 2023 award are invited in Social Sciences (economics, politics, sociology).
- Nominees must be female scientists national of a ST-lagging country and have been living and working there for at least two years immediately prior to their nomination (i.e. from 20/4/2020).
How to nominate a scientist
The 2023 nominations can only be submitted electronically through the on-line platform by clicking on the “NEW NOMINATION” button at the bottom of this page.
To resume working on saved nominations, click on the « RESUME » button at the bottom of this page.
The deadline for receiving nominations is 18 April 2023, however we strongly recommend that you do not wait until the deadline but submit the nomination as early as you can to enable us to process it as quickly as possible.
Before starting compiling the nomination, PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO THE MAXIMUM CHARACTERS ALLOWED.
A nomination is considered complete only if includes all of the following information/material:
- Nominator contact details;
- Nominee contact details (self nominations and nominations from jury members are not accepted) and general information on the nominee, including the country where she has been working and living in the past 2 years;
- Authorization from the nominee (i.e. the candidate) to process her personal data for the purposes of her nomination, in conformity to Art. 13 of the Italian Legislative Decree 196/2003. This authorization can only be submitted through the online platform. The privacy authorization form is available for download in the section ‘nominee’s personal data’. The form must be filled in and signed by the candidate and then uploaded onto the on-line platform;
- Suggested citation (15-20 words highlighting the nominee’s scientific achievements in Social Sciences (economics, politics, sociology);
- Supporting statement regarding the nominee’s contribution in either Agricultural Sciences or Biology. Supporting statements should explain in detail the work performed by the candidate and its significance in the relevant scientific context. Clear reference should be made to the scientific impact of the nominee’s work. Vague supporting statements will not be considered and will negatively affect the evaluation;
- Clear and detailed account of any time spent abroad by the nominee in the past two years;
- PhD: information on subject area, year and awarding institution;
- Brief information on membership in academies and societies;
- Brief information on awards and honours received;
- List of 10 most significant publications listed in an internationally acceptable format;
- The nominee’s brief CV and her complete list of publications are also to be uploaded, separately, onto the online platform.
- The nominee’s h-index in Google Scholar and its associated number of citations.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the TWAS-Fayzah M. Al-Kharafi Award 2023