Application Deadline:10th December 2023
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Toronto (U of T) is a fully funded scholarship program for graduate studies at Canada’s leading institution of learning, discovery, and knowledge creation. U of T is proud to be one of the world’s top research-intensive universities, driven to invent and innovate.
Prospective scholars will develop their capacity and networks to engage in diverse healthcare professions and healthcare ecosystems in Africa. Upon completion of the program, it’s expected that Scholars will return to their home countries and engage in self-employment or work in a range of health-related professions to advance the health outcomes within their countries upon completion.
AREAS OF STUDY
In 2024/2025, we will be accepting applications to one of the following areas:
- To apply for the Doctorate in Public Health program, please find the application form here.
The University of Toronto (U of T) is collaborating with eight leading African universities to support their efforts to train and prepare young professionals for the meaningful work of growing African health sectors, with an emphasis on employment opportunities for women.
The African Higher Education Health Collaborative partners include:
The Toronto MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme is open to you if you are a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan Africa country. You must be a first-time applicant to the University of Toronto who has not yet begun university study elsewhere. If you are a transfer student, you are not eligible for the Program.
In order to be eligible for the Toronto MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme, you must:
- be a resident and a graduating high school student of a country within Sub-Saharan Africa;
- demonstrate financial need correspondent to that of the lowest two quintiles of your country;
- have very strong academic results within your school system;
- have a record of leadership and extracurricular involvement;
- maintain a strong desire to return to Africa to assist and work towards enhanced regional socioeconomic development;
- be graduating from a recognized secondary school, or have completed the necessary academic requirements; and
- fulfill the necessary English requirements (dependent on country);
- Scholars in the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at U of T are provided with full financial assistance for tuition, travel expenses to Canada (including obtaining a passport, visa application fees), housing, course materials, health insurance, laptop, food, books, and other expenses for the duration of their graduate degrees.
A completed application includes the following components:
- A completed online application – all applicable sections must be filled out, including contact information, financial information, personal details and responses to essay questions.
- Financial documents – upload a scanned copy of financial documentation.
- Transcript – upload a scanned copy of your secondary school transcript and any other academic information.
- Two references – provide the names and contact details of two individuals who will serve as your referees. We will contact your referees directly and ask them to submit their letter of reference through a secure website.
For More Information: