Application Deadline: September 23rd, 2022
The East Africa Women Human Rights Defenders Network is pleased to announce the launch of the call for applications for women human rights defenders from Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, and Djibouti to join as members of the Network.
The Network was established in 2017 with the support of the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights-East Africa Regional Office and has its secretariat currently hosted by DefendDefenders (East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project).
The main objective of the Network is to strengthen the capacities of women human rights defenders in the region to effectively engage on specific gender issues and to advocate for the advancement of women’s human rights and gender equality at the local, national and regional levels and in different contexts.
At the moment, the Network is composed of members from Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, Ethiopia and Djibouti. In 2022, the Network would like to expand its membership to more countries in the region.
- Women and girls working on any human rights issue, and people of all genders who work to promote women’s rights and rights related to gender equality;
- Be operational within Eritrea, Somalia, Burundi, or Djibouti. Exiled WHRDs from Eritrea working on issues affecting women in Eritrea are invited to apply; and
- Applications can be made as an individual WHRD or organisation.
- 23rd September 2022: Deadline for submission of applications.
- 17th October 2022: Notification of the decision of the Network’s steering committee.
How to Apply
All interested WHRDs are asked to send in a bio (max 1 page) and declare any affiliations (conflict of interests), if any, and to respond to the 4 questions below (max one page).
- Persons with disabilities can contact the secretariat of the network for necessary facilitation in the application process; and
- If representing an organisation, evidence of full authority to commit the organisation in decision-making is required.
All applications must be made in English and submitted by e-mail to the following address: [email protected]
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the East Africa Women Human Rights Defenders Network Program