Application Deadline: November 15, 2023
US Embassy Nairobi has partnered with Youth Film Platform to launch the Inaugural Film Fupi Academy program for young aspiring filmmakers. The Program will empower 30 aspiring filmmakers drawn from Eastlands-Nairobi County with practical and professional skills in filmmaking for income generation and social self-expression. Film Fupi Academy program will provide a hands-on film-making learning experience that builds participants’ exposure to the wide variety of technical and professional skills they will need to write, produce, shoot, and edit quality short films featuring effects makeup. This will expand Kenya’s creative economic development, foster inclusive societies, and provide financial security to Kenyans. The program is expected to run for 12 months from November 2023 – November 2024.
- Call for Application: Outreach and submission of applications from the select areas.
- Selection Process: Review and identify up to thirty young aspiring filmmakers from across Eastlands – Nairobi County
- Training: Selected participants will take part in a 6-month hybrid course to gain practical and Proffessional skills needed to thrive in the film industry, including how to pitch and mobilize resources necessary in making and distributing their films.
- Training (Blended Mode)- Learners will acquire knowledge in filmmaking and Specialized Make up which help them better understand all film techniques and business skills required to make a high quality film, they will be able to distinguish the techniques and Proffessional processes of filmmaking. They will participate in 16 master classes in film techniques and business which will propel them to a market ready position. The Curriculum will be delivered by Industry professionals creating an opportunity networking and exposure in the process of learning. A total 432 guided learning hours are allocated towards the master classes within the 12 months.
- Practical’s -From the very first week of their training, learners will begin their development stage of filmmaking where they will develop their ideas and start working towards pitching and finally a panel of industry professionals will pick the best script from each of the group for production.
- Development -Writing a Proffessional screen play for each of the 3 films, Applying for Appropriate filming licenses, Copywriting treatment and script, Script Breakdown, Story and Business pitch writing, Budgeting
- Pre- Production- Develop Production design plan, mood board, storyboard, shot list, equipment checklist, cast and crew contracts, ancillary service contracts, shooting schedules and call sheets. Also carry out proper pre-production work such as casting, rehearsals, location scouting.
- Production -Every learner will participate in shooting at least 2 of the 3 short films getting different title credits and different experiences. Each Learner will specialize in a practical crew or cast role during production under the coaching of an Industry Proffessional. Some the departments that will be involved in the production include; Writing department, Sound Department, Cinematography Department, Production Design Department, Directing Department, Editing Department and Production Department.
- Post Production- Each Film Crew will appoint editors and sound designers to edit and present their film, the editors will cut, composite the film with effects, add motion graphics and color grade their work. Each Sound design team will compose a score for their film, add Foley sounds, dialogues or monologues and sound effects and sync it with the film.
- Distribution- The learners will organize a theatrical film premiere for the 3 short films in terms of creating a trailer, marketing the premiere on media and other platforms.
Applications for the Film Fupi Academy Program are now open. Applications should be submitted by November 15, 2023. Please read the application information carefully before you submit.
- Fill in the Application form online and attach the necessary documents and links
- Check program terms and conditions to see whether you qualify to apply
- Questions? Email [email protected]
Round 1 Application Deadline: Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Round 2: Applicants invited to Round 2 will be required to participate in a virtual interview on 20th November 2023.
Selection Notification: 25th November 2023 finalists will be announced and notified and thereafter invited to an Orientation into the program
For More Information: