Application Deadline: May 26. 2023
The Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC) is responsible for the management of the DSI-HSRC Internship Programme on behalf of the Department of Science and Innovation. The Internship Programme provides unemployed Science, Engineering and Technology (SET), Research, Development, Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities graduates and postgraduates (excluding Post-doctoral candidates) an opportunity to acquire practical work experience through mentoring and exposure in an environment, relevant to their qualification. Placement will be available in public and private higher education institutions, science councils, research agencies,
private sector, non-profit organisations and in relevant industries.
To be eligible, interns MUST meet the following minimum requirements:
• Be a South African citizen or South African Permanent Resident (with a valid South African Identity Document).
o Non-South Africans are not eligible to apply;
• Should be currently unemployed and 35 years of age or younger at the time of appointment to the internship programme;
• A graduate holding any of the following:
o NQF Level 7: Bachelor’s, Advanced Diploma, or B-Tech Degree;
o NQF Level 8: Bachelor’s Hons Degree, and Postgraduate Diploma;
o NQF Level 9: Master’s Degree or M-Tech.
• Hold a qualification in Science, Engineering and Technology, Research, Development, Innovation, Social Sciences and Humanities or related disciplines and SHOULD HAVE COMPLETED THEIR STUDY at the time of submitting the application.
See list of areas of specialisations/disciplines available across all provinces below.
The following applies to candidates who are NOT ELIGIBLE to be appointed as DSI-HSRC interns:
• Candidates who hold a Diploma at BELOW NQF level 7 as well as PhD at NQF level 10;
• Candidates who would be registered full-time for study
• Registered Doctoral (PhD, DPhil and DTech) students; and
• Candidates who hold DSI-funded scholarships or bursaries during the internship year.
• Candidates who are past beneficiaries of the DSI-NRF or DSI-HSRC Internship programme
The internship programme is offered for a period of 24 months. Successful applicants will be required to sign a contract for the duration of the internship.
The DSI-HSRC Internship will provide interns with a monthly salary depending on the level of qualification for the duration of the two-year period:
• Bachelors: R 6 758 per month
• Honours: R 7 478 per month
• Masters: R 8 878 per month
Successful applicants will assume duty from 03 July 2023 to 30 June 2025 for the first intake and the second intake to start on 01 August 2023 to 31 July 2025.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the DSI-HSRC Internship Programme 2023/2025