Application Deadline: July 11, 2023
The DAAD awards funding to Sub-Saharan African students for full-time Master or PhD degrees in their home country or in another Sub-Saharan African country as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme. The programme promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at Sub-Saharan African universities.
Master and PhD scholarships in this programme are awarded for preselected degree programmes in development-related and SDG-oriented fields at preselected Sub-Saharan African institutions. Scholarships are awarded to Sub-Saharan African students for study and research in their home country (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region).
The programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub-Saharan Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and / or research at a higher education institution in Sub-Saharan Africa.
By training future academic and professional leaders, the programme contributes to the following long-term impacts:
- Qualified professionals’ involvement in the solution of development-related problems in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Graduates strengthening education and research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Structural strengthening and regional networking of partner institutions and partner universities
To achieve these long-term impacts, the following outcomes have been formulated as programme objectives:
Programme objective 1: Graduates have qualified to take over responsible positions in their, or for their, region of origin
Programme objective 2: The participation of women and underprivileged groups is reinforced
Programme objective 3: Organizational, financial and personal capacities of partner institutions are strengthened
As part of the „In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ DAAD offers scholarships for PhD and Master studies. The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
- The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from Sub-Saharan Africa with a first academic degree if applying for a Master’s programme, or with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue Master’s or PhD courses in their home country (so called In-Country scholarships) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
- Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Master and PhD studies
Duration of funding
Funding is provided for the usual duration of a course – generally, up to two years for Masters and up to three years for the PhD degree programmes
- Monthly allowance
- Study and research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Tuition fees
Only applicable for In-Region scholarship holders:
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
West and Central Africa
- Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject field:
Master: Energy Technology
Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology (JKUAT), Subject fields:
Master: Soil and Water Engineering
PhD: Soil and Water Engineering
- Moi University, Subject field:
- East and South African-German Centre of Excellence for Educational Research Methodologies and Management (CERM-ESA) – Moi University, Subject field:
Master: Education in Research
- Dedan Kimathi University of Technology (DeKU), Subject field:
Master: Food Science and Technology
- Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR)*, Subject field:
Master: Research and Public Policy (MRPP)
*at the following universities: Egerton University, University of Lagos, Maseno University, Mzumbe University, University of Ibadan
- Pwani University; Subject field:
- Botswana International University of Science and Technology (BIUST), Subject field:
Master: Physics (by research)
(In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> daad.de/go/de/stipa10000279)
For More Information: