Application Deadline: 15 February 2023
According to an agreement between the Alliance of International Science Organizations (ANSO), the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS/UNESCO) for the advancement of science in developing countries, up to 40 students/scholars from developing countries will be sponsored to study in China for doctoral degrees for up to 4 years.
The ANSO Scholarship for Young Talents (hereinafter referred to as the ANSO Scholarship) was formally launched in 2019 with the goal of training and cultivating young scientists from all over the world. The ANSO Scholarship supports 200 Master’s students and 300 PhD students every year to pursue postgraduate education at the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS) or institutes of Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) around China. Please find the full Call for the ANSO Scholarship here.
This year, a sub-category of the ANSO Scholarship: the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship is being officially launched. Echoing the priority of TWAS/UNESCO, special (not exclusive) consideration will be given to two target groups: Least Development Countries (LDCs) and women. Up to 40 PhD students from developing countries in the South will be selected by TWAS/UNESCO into this category every year.
CAS, the leading founding member of ANSO, is the major sponsor of the ANSO Scholarship. TWAS and UNESCO, both founding members of ANSO, provide part of the funding for the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship awardees. ANSO welcomes all members and parties who are interested in creating a more diversified scholarship program together.
- Eligible applicants should NOT hold Chinese citizenship;
- Eligible applicants must be nationals of eligible developing countries in the South (Developing Countries in the South | TWAS)
- Eligible applicants should be proficient in English or Chinese;
- For PhD program applicants: you should be born after 1st January 1988 (inclusive);
- Eligible applicants should meet the admission criteria for international students of USTC/UCAS;
- Eligible applicants should NOT take up other assignments during the period of his/her scholarship.
- If the applicant is currently pursuing a doctoral degree at any university/institution in China, s/he will NOT be eligible for the PhD program of this scholarship. Otherwise, s/he will be disqualified from admission and the situation will be reported to the current university/institution
You are NOT allowed to apply for the ANSO Scholarship in both USTC and UCAS simultaneously, otherwise you will be disqualified from admission.
PhD program Tuition waiver 2. Monthly stipend:6,000 or 7,000 CNY/month (depending on whether the awardee has passed the qualification test arranged by the University), up to 48 months 3. Health insurance 4. Application fee waiver 5.International travel allowance from awardee’s home country to China (one trip per awarded candidate) 6.One-time visa
All awardees are required to finish centralized training in Chinese language, Chinese culture and all required credits as well as practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of USTC/UCAS or CAS institutes.
Any PhD awardee who fails the qualification test or annual assessment will face the consequences including:
• Termination of his/her scholarship;
• Discontinuity of his/her doctoral study;
• Being provided with a certificate of attendance for the period of study undertaken in China but not a formal doctoral degree.
All the awardees are required to abide by Chinese laws and USTC/UCAS regulations and rules.
For More Information:
Visit the Official Webpage of the ANSO-CAS-TWAS/UNESCO PhD Scholarship 2023